Wave 4 Early Works - Woolgoolga to Ballina
- Location - Pacific Highway south of Woodburn
- Completion Date - February 2017
- Value - $43 million (including variations)
- Client - Roads and Maritime Services and Pacific Complete
On behalf of the Australian and NSW governments, Roads and Maritime Services is progressively upgrading the Pacific Highway to dual carriageway between the Hunter and NSW/Queensland border. The Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade involves the duplication of 155 kilometres to a four-lane divided road. The upgrade starts about six kilometres north of Woolgoolga (north of Coffs Harbour) and ends about six kilometres south of Ballina.
The Wave 4 Early Works package is part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade. SEECivil worked collaboratively with Roads and Maritime Services and Pacific Complete to deliver this part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade.
There early works were undertaken to ensure appropriate management, pre-load and settlement of soft soil areas prior to major roadworks commencing on this section of highway.
Scope of Works
- Foundation treatments using 70,000 cubic metres of drainage rock
- Installation of about 320,000 metres of vertical wick drains
- Installation of specialised geotechnical instruments for settlement monitoring of soft soils, including vibrating wire, bored, nested and standing piezometers, inclinometers, settlement plate, data loggers and hydrostatic profile gauges
- Importing more than 185,000 cubic metres of earth fill materials
- High strength earth reinforcement using geotextiles and geosynthetic materials
- Design and construction of deceleration lanes on the Pacific Highway to facilitate site and haulage vehicle movements, including traffic management of the Pacific Highway.
- Working with fill height limitations of 1.5 meters per week.
- Installation of HDPE drainage pipes due to soft soil zones
- Clearing and grubbing undertaken within Endangered Ecological Communities
- Management of acid sulfate and soft soil conditions of varying levels across the project area.
Beaudesert Town Centre Bypass
Wave 5C Early Works - Woolgoolga to Ballina